Sunday, July 15, 2012

Grocery/Big Box Store

Hi, friends. I recently played some scenarios for All Things Zombie wherein I had to go to a Big Box store and then a Grocery store as part of the Day One events. Normally I don't play a scenario unless I have the terrain finished and ready to go. That day I went ahead and played without terrain for the store. I just used a big box I had. It was still fun, but lacked the visual element so I didn't post any pics of those scenarios. I finally got around to making the Big Box/Grocery store. Just a quick job, here's pics.

Here's a shot of the Big Box store across the parking lot. In that scenario, LJ got owned by a bunch of terrified civilians because he didn't use his katana on humans, just tried going "mano a mano". Predictably, the fat squishy bastard got stomped. The scenario was over for him and he didn't get any goodies.

Here's a shot of the Grocery store across the parking lot.  As you can see I did a lot of work to differentiate the Grocery store from the Big Box store. :) The signs are stuck onto the building with removable double-sided sticky tape. Anyone recognize the name of the store? Anyway,  the Grocery store was LJ's next and last location. I did two things differently with LJ at the start of this scenario. One, I changed his attribute of Stone Cold to Brawler. Since it was Day One, I decided I'd pick a better attribute if I was going to survive the rest of the Apocalypse. The second thing was I decided that terrified civilians represented a significant threat and I took off the kid gloves. I would use the katana in melee. Worked like a charm. Between switching Attributes and using a 2-handed melee weapon, I had much better luck with that scenario. Even found a SAW, used it to kill a couple of gangers, shots attracted Zombies, which I killed with the Katana, for my first Zombie kills. That was so successful a scenario I actually got a Rep increase. So to memorialize that fight, I finished the store building.
A little about the store. It is 21 x 18 inches x 4 inches tall. It was made from an old Dell Laptop Computer box. I chose it because it had a little built-in box inside that could be used as an interior room. The walls are made from an old WorldWorks Games kitbash siding texture kit I bought several years ago. I went for a simple blue and white color scheme. I was thinking of Ikea's Blue and yellow. I used other WorldWorks Games textures for the windows and doors. Normally I use doors that open and close and windows that are open. This time I went for quick and just used the print-outs glued onto the walls. 
The tile floor is from the WWG Mega Mall set. The brown concrete floor in the loading dock area is another WWG texture. 
The shelving units and refrigerator cabinet come from Stoelzel's Structures Market, as do the register counters. The two gun cabinets in the loading dock are also from Stoelzel's Structures, I think it was the Modular Lair. The shelving is held in place with double-sided tape for stability, but I can reposition them if I want to. I left plenty of room between the shelves for getting my fingers in there.
Shot from different angle.
Shot from the back.

Scenic shot across the parking lot. How do you like the "Valdemart" sign? :)

This was a fun little project that I just sort of slapped together. I had printed out all of the paper textures a while back so I just had to glue them on. The box I used for the building had some dents and areas where the cardboard was different thickness. I could have done things to fix that, and did, a little, but there are still quite a few obvious flaws. However, for a quick job, it'll do. And, because it was made from an actual "big box", I can use it for storage. :)

That's it for now. Thanks for looking.

26 comments:

Unknown said...

Very clever use of that box Joe. Simple exterior but you really brought it to life with your interior work.

Luckyjoe said...

@Anne: Hi, Anne. Thanks very much. I've been trying to do more with the interiors lately.

Adam said...

Looks fantastic Joe, and really fills the need for big box stores. Very well done.

Stoelzel's Structures said...

Great looking stuff as always Joe. Wish I was a little quicker, but I should be assembling my Box tomorrow, and hopefully have it up midweek. Surprisingly identical floorplan, but then again what else would one expect in a big box.

Clever mix of stuff, and I love the comical name. Hope your survivors find the gun lockers whenever they have to.

Lead Legion said...

That's the best looking shoebox building I've seen in a long time. I wouldn't have realised what it was made from until you told me. "Voldemart" was funny enough, but when the whole "box store" gag sunk in, I was in stitches.

Ray Rousell said...

A great job on the Voldemart, and what a great name!!

Simon Quinton said...

Very nice store, Lovely interior and Love the Voldermort signage

Michael Awdry said...

Great piece of terrain and the sign still makes me chuckle.

Clint said...

"Valdemart" Classic!

The Angry Lurker said...

Good Zombieland reference and a beautiful piece of work Joe....

Jay said...

Really nice structure, Joe. Congratulations on the victory...your ability to survive is increasing!

Spacejacker said...

Great result for a quickie!
I've been thinking about making buildings that double as storage myself. Hmm.

The Extraordinarii said...

Very nice Joe very nice, like the way you have detailed it, inside and out.

Vampifan said...

Once again, an impressive looking model, both inside and out. Well done, Joe.

Luckyjoe said...

@Adam: Thanks very much. Those stores are everywhere nowadays.

@Stoelzel's Structures: Thanks very much, Carl. I will be watching for its release and will have to revisit the big box store once I have your kit. There are still a long line of Stoelzel's Structures I need to build. Just need more free time. :)

@Lead Legion: Thanks! It was a fun little project.

@Ray: Thanks, Ray. Then all I had to do was find a pic of Voldemort smiling.

@Brummie: Thanks. I had a bit of a struggle with myself over whether to add more shelving, but decided to leave more room for minis.

@Michael: Thanks very much. I was thinking about adding some slogan but couldn't come up with one.

@Clint: Thanks. We've been calling our local Walmart "Valdemart" since the Harry Potter books came out. :)

@Fran: Thanks very much. I was going to try to make the sign look more like the one in the movie but got lazy. :) I love Zombieland. Great movie!

@Jay: Thanks very much. That was definitely the site of my best game and win.

@SpaceJacker: Thanks, it will save a lot of shelf space if I fill it up with minis.

@The Extraordinarii: Thanks very much. The interior got a lot more effort. I may go back and add more exterior signs.

@Vampifan: Thanks, Bryan. Not up to your excellent standards of builds, but it will work for now.

Sean said...

Funny name, great model. I'm still trying to figure out what to buy from wargamevault before the sale ends this morning. I wish they carried WWG stuff. You have now got me firmly in the interior playable camp, just need to figure out how to do that.

Luckyjoe said...

@Sean: Thanks very much. I bought the Reactor Core for the Modular Lair this morning. I'd buy anything from Stoelzel's Structures, but especially the Modular Urban City Kit (M.U.C.K.). That's a great kit that you can do a lot with.

Rovanite said...

Nice! I really like the voldemart! Also.. It would work perfect with my next batch of supermarket based zombies :P hehe

Lord Siwoc said...

Absolutely great!

Love the name Valdemart. It really sounds like a friendly place with good service!!

Luckyjoe said...

@Rovanite: Thanks. That's good news about the supermarket based Zombies. I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

@Lord Siwoc: Thanks. I was thinking a commercial for the Valdemart would be something like - Voldemort"You will die!" "Buy, sir" from off-screen. Voldemort "Damn, buy. You will buy!" :)

colinmnash said...

Splendid work once more LJ! great use of boxes and fantastic names!

lrqan said...

Brilliant, everybody seems to be doing terrain at the present. Very inspiring. Thanks

Mathyoo said...

Those look great Joe, I love the interior

Luckyjoe said...

@cmnash: Thanks very much. I enjoyed making this one.

@Irqan: Thanks very much. I now have a few minis to paint up, so that will probably be my next post.

@Mathyoo: Thanks very much. I like the interior better, too.

Zabadak said...

Great build Joe, great literal pun too, "box store" (*chuckles).

Luckyjoe said...

@Zabadak: Thanks, Joe. :) It was a lot quicker using a pre-made box.