Monday, August 16, 2010

28mm Dropship WIP



Hi, everybody. A while back I saw an excellent thread on the Lead Adventures Forums by Ironworker on converting a GI Joe Cobra gunship for use in 28mm wargames. I thought that was a really cool project so I went looking for one of those GI Joe Cobra Gunships to convert. Unfortunately, when I found it it was $25, and that was a little too expensive for my conversion budget. Eventually, I found a Secret Saturdays Griffin Stealth Plane at BigLots on deep discount for $5 so I picked it up. It's not as cool as the Cobra but $5 makes it Ok for me :).

I had to do a little work on it. I cut off the big orange button on the back that fires the missiles, disabled the pop-up panels that conceal/reveal the missile launchers and glued them shut, redid the canopy, covered the round hole that came from removing the missile firing button with a Hirst Arts gun, primed it and gave it a black wash.

Here's a pic with a Space Marine for size reference.



It reminds me a little of a Messerschmitt Me 163 Komet WW2 Fighter so I was thinking of painting it in the classic camo of blue underbelly with a forest canopy style top. Then I saw this paint scheme on http://www.fritzthefox.com/german_camo_guide.html. What a great site. Gotta love the interwebs.



I like that night camo pattern. I think it will look cool and will be relatively easy. Anyone have any tips on how to do that? Anyway, thanks for looking.

Luckyjoe

No comments: